Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Nerdy Nails Issue 7: Legend Of Zelda


It’s the weekend! Which means more Nerdy Nails! I have to say, I always look forward to the end of the week and getting stuck into my geeky nail art. It doesn’t always turn out how I imagine, but I love getting the proper art practice in, and I love figuring out the best/easiest way to draw a particular idea.

This week, I've picked one of my favourite video game franchises, Legend of Zelda! This Nintendo classic has been around donkeys years, but I only started to fall in love when The Windwaker came out on the Nintendo GameCube. A great fantasy take on the classic average boy on a quest to save the world from the bad guy, and saving the girl in the process. As always, I've listed each design and colours used to save word space.





Thumb - Hyrulian Shield: This Hyrulian symbol adorns Link’s shield (Link is the hero of the games not Zelda, like a lot of people assume!). This was the hardest to draw, but I still wanted to include it, coz it’s cool. Plus, it includes the Triforce, which is one of the most recognisable symbols of the Zelda world. Colours are Essence The Boy Next Door (blue), NYC Chelsea (red), Barry M Gold Foil (gold).

Index – Dungeon Key: The main levels of the Zelda games are usually a dungeon of some sorts, and when you find this particular key, you know to stock up on your health, as this bad boy opens the door to the main boss of the dungeon. I’m least happy with this one, I should have made the key a bit larger, the background colour swamps the gold so you can’t see it, and I should have probably outlined it, but these are lessons for next time! Colours are OPI My Vampire Is Buff (cream), Barry M Gold Foil (gold), Sally Hansen Shiny Penny (copper).






Middle – Link’s costume: The dungeons, and the weapons, and the stories may change from time to time, but one of the few things that always stays the same is the Hero’s classic outfit. Link is never seen without his trusty green costume and hat. Colours here are Essence Upper Green Side (pale green), Essence We Rock The Green (bright green), Essence Wanna Say Hello (brown), Essence Little Miss Sunshine (yellow).

Ring – Heart Container: Every time Link defeats a dungeon boss, he is given one of these lovely heart containers, which gives him an extra heart to add to his life gauge. Always handy to get extra hearts by the time you get to the end, less your ass be handed to you by the end guy. Colours are Essence The Boy Next Door (darkest blue), Barry M Cyan Blue (middle blue), Barry M Blueberry Ice Cream (lightest blue), NYC Chelsea (red).

Pinky – Rupee: While adventuring on your quest, you’re always guaranteed to find these lovely jewels hidden amongst the grass. Pick ‘em up so you can buy provisions. Colours are OPI My Vampire Is Buff (cream), NYC Chelsea (red), Barry M Nail Art Pen (black).
Everything is topped off with one coat of NYC Grand Central Station, and one coat of Essence Better Than Gel Nails.




Overall, I was quite happy with these. The boss key could have been better, but other than that I think they look pretty cool. I'm also liking my photos this week. I managed to get a few minutes of actual sunlight this morning, so I grabbed the opportunity and got some naturally lit pics!
I’ll have more Nerdy Nails next week, so stay tuned for those!

Thanks for reading!
Ciao for now x

No comments:

Post a Comment